Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tv Tropes preview No. 1

Disclaimer: this is a preview of my new idea, where I talk about tropes. Viewer discretion is advised. visit www.tvtropes.org !

Today, I'm going to talk about Nostalgia Chick's three 'controversial' tropes: Big Lipped Alligator Moment, MacGuffin, and The Smurfette Principle.

1: Big Lipped Alligator Moment or BLAM

This trope is commonly defined as moment that comes out of nowhere, go all crazy upon us and leaves without mention afterwards. Now most people are confused to which crazy moment is a BLAM, but I have an simple answer. Ask this question, is it a show stopping moment that feel out of place and taken out of the media without ruining any details. If you said yes, then it's a BLAM.

Let's take an example. Original BLAM from All Dogs Go to Heaven. Is it a show-stopping number (yes) that feels out of place (yes) and taken out the media without ruining any detail (well...) It's an debate. I mean, in term of screenplay, it's fine to take it out, but in the feel of the movie, it establishes the Alligator as a character to look out for, which make the final scene appearence seem like an AH than a HUH?. In other terms, Siskel will say yes but Ebert will not. Siskel- anayltical, Ebert- artistic. Depending on other examples, Siskel will be fine, but maybe we should give a special term for full critics yes, like the Ferngully lizard moment.

2: MacGuffin

One-use plot device. Or is it? the MacGuffin in the Nostalgia Chick seems little different than Tvtropes one but I could find the video so let's skip that and move to...

3: The Smurfette Principle

Not much of a controversy as unfortunate trend. What I think about the principle is that most male just don't go around females. Having a female buddy is awkward for some, any annoyance for others. Personally, I think females are great friends, but most boys doing boy stuff, girl doesn't fit in and most non female dominated shows is basically look into boys night out. I think it's hard to avoid circumstance, and thing in mind while writing.

So that's it. I hope you like what I'm trying out and I'll get back as soon as the project gets over.

No comments:

Post a Comment