Tuesday, March 25, 2014

March Madness: Cloud Atlas, Past Again

Final Verdict on the bottom.

Letters From Zedelghem
Too much reference and self-reference for my liking. I'm not getting anything here. Maybe I just don't like the narrator... he's stuffy and a... wanker. Least, he does the half reference. Then the story just meanders to a slow and soft halt. It's blaise work... I don't really care for it.

The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing
This part seems like a new start... I like this part better strangely. I guess the description dropped off and the general observation is nice to read. Weird racism. Interesting developments and the ending is at Honolulu... much like the chronological ending. It's yeah...

Final verdict
Strange book. I can't see why so much people were so excited about it. The conceit were shown quite delibrately and it's not hard to write with constraint... like how it's easier to decorated a jungle gym as the structure can handle the ornaments... a flat boring house, however need nails and umpteenth amount of creativity to be any festive. But the story as a whole, I could it's there, but it's not great. Sure, the structure might be revolutionary but as Kyle put it... the story structure have been for centuries. No one wants you create something new... in the end. They just want a good story. Did we get one? Eh. Least that's my take.

No comments:

Post a Comment