Wednesday, March 5, 2014

March Madness: Paper Towns, Part 3

First thing to take my eye is that the tense shifts from past to present, and so the story turns from an account to a diary, writing down the feeling right now as opposed to remembering it. Which is strange, because there's lot of thought in the parts before... but okay.

I actually like this part for the most part because I like road trips and there's nothing really silly, except for the cows but I allow that just because of the surreality of the trip, much like the first part.

So after the trip, we find Margo and the conceit is revealed. It's strange that Margo was always like that... and people never never really noticed because they thought of Margo as this other person. Some people feel disgusted by upholding a women to its dizzying height and watching it all fall down... or maybe presence of the book is so high that it eclipse better books... much like YouTube.

Anyway, the breaking down of Margo is interesting. Seems like Margo just set up too much of herself, taking care of the image rather than herself. This is the destruction of MPDG... mostly of a fallen grace who thought and thought and decide to stop and take a... more normal life.

I love how John Green tries structure how to create a life that explains Margo and it works... for some. Other might think that this is just a typical MPDG back-story or girl falling love with a boy and now does crazy things... like Gatsby. But as a girl. I agree with them on some day, but overall I take it as an appreciation of the attempt of making of MPDG, which I say was successfully done in The Fault in Our Stars.

Speaking of Stars... I like Gus's inclusion of the minimall and security officer, which reflect Augustus and Hazel's evolution. Also the crack and how it was referred to as faults... I told you the books were connected thematically.

Overall, the book linger little too long on the end but overall it's a nice experiment. Perhaps, the author didn't succeed in what he was trying to do... burying his old stories and starting anew, but least, it was a nice spectacle. If you John Green, and of course you do, this book is a wonderful book. Those of you who hate it, the point which I started... to see what the fuss was about, it's a great hate-read. I'll probably do a movie tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment