Sunday, March 2, 2014

March Madness: Paper Towns Prologue

For the longest time, I never really knew if I liked John Green's books. I always liked talking about it, but I never really decided if I enjoy reading the books as a whole. After watching the trailer of The Fault in Our Stars, I decided I didn't like the books... but Paper Towns, one I actually read in full, might be the closest to me liking, so I'll try to examine why.

The first passage certainly catch reader's attention but I have to point out that equating Margo as a miracle kind of irks me as he implies a women as an event. This might be well-intentioned but I'll move on.

So this takes in Florida, which implies Florida like things. Like Dr. Jefferson Jefferson, who is not a Doctor but changed his first name to be 'Dr.' This might well as jumped out of a poorly-made Wes Anderson spoof.

There he goes again, most fantastically gorgeous creature that God has ever created. And he's nine! Does he had a early puberty or is this just creepy... it comes up like the author doesn't know children and I know that's not the intention... but eww. Then there's John Green signature style of commenting every little thing that is described which might rub people the wrong way, but that's okay by me.

Anyway, back to Florida and a dead man... okay. I just like how there's no real reaction to a dead man, with Margo just being curious and Quentin going all over his head... it makes death not serious and that's funny... I think? Also "...I am really goddamn well adjusted." just kills me.

So the scene of Margo coming out of the window and looking at him, which becomes the focal part of the book, happens and I think that Quentin is crazy. Maybe this book is like Lolita, you know? I don't know, his description of a normal scene reminds me of Holden and his fixation of Phoebe. Some think this is creepy and perhaps it was intentional.

Okay, That's was just the prologue and I wrote too much... well, I'll keep reading and post the rest on the following days... that's what I'll do. (Why did I even say that?)

No comments:

Post a Comment